- 3 cups rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax, optional
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 T pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup milk, low fat dairy, rice milk or soymilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- ½ cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- ½ cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted (optional – I don’t do walnuts…so I may try something else. Pecans maybe?)
- 1 T maple syrup (optional, for taste)
- 1 T melted butter (optional, for taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
— or —
Lightly grease your crockpot
- Mix dry ingredients (first 4) in bowl with spices.
- Add all other ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour mixture into greased 9X9 pan and bake for about 40 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean,
— or —
Pour contents into crockpot (3 ½ to 4 quart) and cook for 4-6 hours on low until edges are lightly brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean
- When slightly cool, cut into squares.
- Serve with warm milk.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator, warming individual portions in the microwave.
Modern Gal’s Note: The first version of the recipe I saw had 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of butter. I tried it without the sugar and with applesauce instead of oil. If the following is too austere for you, you can serve it warmed topped with a pat of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup at the table.
Source: Copied directly from Modern Gal’s blog entry, in order to preserve the recipe.